These are upcycled vases made from jars and sand. I don’t know about you, but I believe that one can never have too many vases and flower containers. I wanted to create something with a very natural look that would reflect summer, the beach and dunes and I think the layered look of the sand reflects this quite well. It is a quick little project that is easily completed in an afternoon. So, if this is something you like the look of, here is my tutorial.
Sand-Dipped Vase Materials Needed:
- Empty jars or bottles of your choice
- PVA glue (a water-based glue which can also act as a sealant)
- A paint brush
- Fine sand - this could be from a beach or a craft store - you could even use coloured sand.
- A large bowl for the sand
- First, ensure that your jars and bottles are completely clean by washing them in warm, soapy water and leaving them to dry.
- Load up your paintbrush with the glue and apply to the jar to about 3/4 or 2/3 height and with a “wavy edge”.
- Next, gently roll the jar with the glue in the sand until all sides are covered.
- Alternatively, you can sprinkle the sand whilst turning the jar - this method ensures that the glue doesn’t get “pushed” aside.
- Repeat this with your other jars and leave to dry for about 15 minutes.
- When the first layer is dry, apply the second layer of glue.
- Again, do this with a wavy edge (representing dunes) and finishing about 2cm below the first layer.
- Sprinkle on the sand and leave to dry.
- You will now already see the pattern and the edges developing.
- After the second layer is dry, repeat by applying the third layer of glue and covering in sand.
- You should now leave it all upside down to dry for about an hour. The more layers you have, the longer the drying time, but this kind of glue dries relatively quickly.
- Once the jars are completely dry, simply fill with water and flowers.
You can of course add a little ribbon, add more layers or create different colored layers for a bright and fun look.
So, I hope you will enjoy making these and if you do, why not leave us a comment.
By: Carole Poirot at www.mademoisellepoirot.com