Breakfast during the work week goes something like this: you’re running out the door, you grab a piece of fruit and if you’re lucky, a travel mug of what you hope is hot coffee. So when the weekend arrives, it makes sense why we want to treat ourselves to something sweet and indulgent for breakfast. Although a huge pancake or French toast breakfast is tempting, it’s also filled with unnecessary fat and sugar. A simple switch of flax seed bread, almond milk, and chopped fresh fruit will wow your taste buds without causing your blood sugar to crash. Using fresh fruit as a sweetener is a fantastic way to boost your fiber and potassium intake.
Let’s get started.
You’ll need one egg, 3-4 tablespoons of unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon, three slices low-carb flax seed bread, half a banana, half a pear, and any flavor honey you have on hand.
1. Crack egg into a bowl, add 3-4 tablespoons almond milk and whisk.
2. Add ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon or more.
3. Ensure cinnamon is well mixed in.
4. Take each slice of flax seed bread and cover with egg mixture.
5. Place grill pan or skillet on medium heat, spray with nonstick spray, add French toast. After 3-4 minutes flip French toast, check out those grill marks!
6. Chop pear and banana into bite size pieces.
7. Add fruit to a small pot.
8. Add 1 tablespoon honey.
9. Heat on low until warm; the fruit will also release its natural sugars making this compote extra sweet and floral
Serve your masterpiece and cheers yourself for making a healthy, simple switch that will have you craving seconds.
Take a moment to notice how the honey and fruit provide rich moisture to each bite. In a typical French toast, butter and heavy syrup would have contributed to the moisture and to your calorie count.
Nutritional breakdown: 385 calories, 70g carbohydrates, 6g fat, 22g protein
Editor: Nicole Walker